Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Question: What are the top ten songs of your youth?

Song week continues.

Before I get into it, here's a joke my subconscious came up with this morning;

Q: If you can't remember its name, how are you going to call your dog?
A: Don't worry. It'll come to me.

Youth is a lot of time. Going to try to keep it before my 'pre-taste' years, when I didn't know shit. Say, before the age of ten?

Top Ten Songs of My Youth (Pre-Tween Edition)

10) Mony Mony by Billy Idol - Rocked a lip sync to this pretty hard when I was in grade three.
9) Freedom Overspill by Steve Winwood - Had this compilation tape that I played over and over again in the late 80s. Wish I could remember the name.
8) Foolish Beat by Debbie Gibson - Shut up!
7) Dogs by Pink Floyd - Yea, I got a pretty early start on Floyd. Think I was about nine years old.
6) Perfect Strangers by Deep Purple - That riff felt hard to me at the time. Little did I know that it was Iommi's bag to do that shit.
5) Be My Baby by the Ronettes - Dirty Dancing soundtrack. Used to dance to this with my mom.
4) Let's Hear it for the Boy by Deniece Williams - Footloose soundtrack. Wore this tape out.
3) Your Mama Don't Dance by Poison - A Loggins and Messina song, dressed up for the hair metal age.
2) Nikita by Elton John - This isn't even close to one of my favorite Elton John songs now that I've gone back with some intelligence, but when I was a kid, this shit blew my mind.
1) Excitable by Def Leppard - This was my first true love: Hysteria by Def Leppard in 1997. Becuase there were so many hits, I did that thing were I went to the far side of the album, the second last song, to pick my own personal favorite. Then I played the pants off it. Might have even choreographed a dance...

Short Answer: Wow. This really took me back. Attempting to be truthful dug up some unexpected treasures.

Honorable Mentions: Under Your Spell by Candi and the Backbeat, Is This Love by Whitesnake, Dance Desire by Haywire, Push It by Salt-N-Pepa, Faith by George Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment