Friday, July 15, 2016

Question: What do you think of all this Ghostbusters hoopla?

Opening day, right?

I've said it before and I'll probably have to say it again because you fuckers don't listen. A reboot, or a re-imagining, or a re-tooling, or a re-whatever you want to call it in no way hurts, diminishes, infringes upon or insults the original work. The Ghostbusters you know and love will still exist whether this movie is good, bad or ugly.


People have hated on remakes before, so that doesn't surprise me. It's possible, at least theoretically, that all the hate for this movie is that same animal. I don't, however, think that the possibility it's got some misogynistic elements is one to be ignored. Anytime someone can be a dick, and has a perfect guise, watch out.


What I mean by this is that if you can be a dick to women all you want, then claim it's just because you liked the original Ghostbusters so much, then you think you've somehow protected yourself and fooled everyone. I'm not fooled. That doesn't mean that everyone who pre-hates it is doing so because of females in the suits, but it also doesn't mean that I can't see you buggers who are trying to slip through the cracks.


Already, tonnes of people have reviewed the movie poorly, and it hasn't even come out in the States, yet. Did they all pirate a movie they had no interest in seeing just to pan it? Maybe a few. Which means the rest are just little assholes with nothing better to do. I hope it doesn't affect the movie's box office too much.


I say go see it. If you're a fan of the original, there's likely some nostalgia there. If you're a fan of these brilliant comedians, go support them. If you like to support funny filmmakers, Feig has a proven track record. And if nothing else, go support a big budget movie that took the risk of having four female leads, despite the fact that there's a shitload of pricks out there with nothing to do but hate on anything that scares them.


Short Answer: I wish the trailers had been better, so I could really argue on their behalf. Despite my lack of excitement, I'm still going to go see it for the reasons above. Then I've earned the right to review it, because I took the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment