Friday, April 22, 2016

Question: Top Ten Prince Songs.

Oh shit.


This might be the hardest Top Ten list in music. As you may know, Prince wrote a million fuckin' songs and a list of his ten best is probably the most subjective thing I can imagine. He was so talented, unique and prolific, that one person's list may be far different than another's. What I'm going to do, to try to make this easier for myself, is narrow things down to his more popular work. Though I do encourage any of my readers out there to do a similar, more eclectic list, and share it with the world.


Top Ten Recognizable Prince Songs


10) Nothing Compares 2 U performed by Sinead O'conner, Manic Monday performed by The Bangles, Stand Back performed by Stevie Nicks. - These three songs, among many others were written by Prince for, and/or recorded by, other artists.
9) Little Red Corvette (1983) #6 - This is just classic Prince pop to me, a rung below my favorite of this ilk, Raspberry Beret.
8) Music from Batman (1989) - I'm not just talking Batdance (a #1 single). The music Prince supplied to Tim Burton's film, as much as Danny Elfman's score, is an integral part of the crazy final product.
7) 7 (1993) #7 - This was my introduction to Prince as someone actively becoming interested in music. I'll never forget how different it sounded to me than everything else that was popular at the time.
6) Purple Rain (1984) #2 - Don't need to say much about this.
5) When Doves Cry (1984) #1 Is this Prince's most famous song? I feel like it's impossible to have an opinion about it. It's legendary, and you like it.
4) Let's Go Crazy (1984) #1 - I've realized that I don't have a lot to say about Prince's music in terms of what it sounds like, or how it works. It's obvious what he was. My thoughts automatically go to the pleasure I got from hearing it. Feels like it doesn't need explanation.
3) Raspberry Beret (1985) #2 - My favorite Prince song, almost. I have fond memories of this from when I was very young, and it always makes me happy when I hear it.
2) Kiss (1986) #1 - Though all of his popular songs could be considered 'pop', to me Prince is like a rock god dipped in the blood of dead funk and soul musicians, finished with R&B varnish. Though Kiss is a pop hit, it's so much more to me. It's...singular. Who sings like that? No one.
1) Cream (1991) #1 - I've always felt a little ashamed that this was my favorite Prince song. I'm not that dirty a fucker, I just really like the groove. In my defense, it spent two weeks at the top of the Billboard charts.




Short Answer: "I just really like the groove" might be the best explanation I have for liking the music of Prince. Honorable Mentions: 1999, Alphabet St., I Would Die 4 U, Sign 'o' the Times.


Note: Man, could Prince wail on the guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment